My wife, 3 kids (ages 14, 12, and 9) and I stayed for 4 nights at La Roche d'Esteil, in the wonderful Perigord Noir region. As we were looking at places to stay, there seemed to be many choices in the area... but I am thrilled we chose to stay with Karen and Martin. Here's why:
- the property itself is beautiful and extremely well kept. The historic bread oven, converted barn, etc combine modern comfort with romance/history. The room was perfect for the 5 of us
- Karen and Martin go out of their way to make guests feel at home and to share their love (and knowledge) of the area. They guided us to places like Saint-Leon-sur-Vezere... a little bit of heaven that we would never have found on our own
- It can be difficult to find a place that feels comfortable with children but doesn't feel kid-focused. This was perfect combination... a very adult feeling environment (I would LOVE to go back without kids!) but the kids also had a great time in the pool, playing soccer with Karen and Martin's 9 year old son, etc
- The food was outstanding. The bar is high in the Perigord! The breakfast and especially Martin's fine-dining dinner (with some fun molecular gastronomy elements) were outstanding
- Having access to a guest kitchen was very helpful. We cooked some magret and foie gras one night for a lovely local dinner without needing to go to a restaurant.
When can we go back?!?